By default Joomla applications work quite fast. For big sites, however, optimization is necessary because if not maintained well the site can start working slower than it used to.
Here are some easy steps you can regularly take speed up your Joomla site and make sure it is working fast and stable:
- Enable the Joomla caching system. You can do that from the settings tab in your admin panel
- Reduce the number of articles on the front page.
- Disable/remove all components/modules/plugins that you are not really using
- Check your website with as many online performance testing tools as you can. They will give you valuable information on what modifications can be made in order to improve your site performance.
- Decrease the number of external and internal links on your pages. Leave only the most important ones.